Young women often ask, “How do you know you’re in love?” When we stand in line at the grocery store, we see magazine headlines about people who are in love. Falling in love is big on people’s minds. They are stories that sell. But the greatest love story of all will never be found on the cover of most magazines. It is the story of falling in love with Jesus.
Right now you may be wondering:
- Does Jesus love me?
- Is it possible to fall in love with Jesus?
- How do we fall in love with Jesus?
- How do you know for sure that you love Jesus?
These are really good questions that deserve answers and we will cover them in the next couple of minutes.
Does Jesus love me?
The first thing we need to know about falling in love with Jesus is that He loves us.
I am here to tell you that without the love of Jesus in my life it would be very hard to make sense of the crazy mixed-up world that we live in. But let me show you how we can know that Jesus loves us.
The Bible tells us that Jesus loves us
Some people have called the Bible God’s love letter to us. Anyone who has had a family member in the military knows how important letters are from home. The soldier or sailor often carries those letters in his pocket for moments when he wants to feel his family’s love. This is what happens when we read many of the words of Jesus in the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).
“As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you.” John 15:9a ESV
People down through time tell us that Jesus loves us
Paul, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John all tell us in Scripture that Jesus loves us. Just spend time reading the New Testament for numerous confirmations of the love of God.
Likewise, the martyrs down through the ages testify of Jesus’ love. Even today in parts of the world men, women, and children are dying because they have responded to the Love of Jesus and committed their lives to Him.
Jesus’ actions tell us that He loves us
Many servicemen and women go into dangerous situations because of their love for their country. They know from the time they enlist that they could possibly die.
Even greater love than that for one’s country is Jesus’ love for mankind. He demonstrated His love by willingly dying to save us from spiritual death and separation from God.
“Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life for his friends.” John 15:13
Is it possible to fall in love with Jesus?
When we think about falling in love, we think of someone we can see, someone we can hear, someone we can physically touch. Since Jesus is spirit, is it possible to fall in love with Him?
How we can see Jesus
Whenever you see someone serving “the least of these”, you are seeing Jesus in action. We are the hands and feet of Jesus to widows, orphans, the homeless, refugees, and anyone who is on the fringe.
“And whoever gives one of these little ones a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means loose his reward.” Matthew 10:42
How we can hear Jesus
There are so many ways to “hear” Jesus.
- Through the comforting voice of a friend who speaks God’s words
- Christian music
- Podcasts that are dedicated to sharing the love and truth about Jesus
- Apps that read the Bible outloud
- Sermons from pastors who are committed to sharing the Gospel
- Bible study groups
How we can feel Jesus’ touch
My mother used to tell a story about a little boy who said, “Mommy, I just wish Jesus had skin to hug me.” Touch is so important to humans. Babies deprived of this basic need do not develop normally.
But even though Jesus is spirit, we still can feel His touch. Anytime that someone gives us a hug in Jesus’ name, that is the touch of Jesus. Likewise, anytime that someone helps us in Jesus’ name, that is the help of Jesus.
The Christian Band, For King and Country, has recorded an older song, added a modern twist, while still maintaining the words found in John 13:35. “They’ll know we are Christians by our love.” You can listen to it on YouTube, Spotify, and Pandora.
How do we fall in love with Jesus?
God wants to give us answers to this question.
Scriptures about falling in love with Jesus
“As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you. (Therefore), abide in my love” John 15:9 (emphasis added)
“If you love me you will keep my commandments.” John 14:15
“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
“That I might know Him … ” Philippians 3:10a
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind.” Romans 12:2a
Activities for falling in love with Jesus
Falling in love with Jesus doesn’t just happen. We have to be intentional about it. And just like any other relationship, it takes time, effort, and sacrifice for it to be satisfying
1 Spend time with people who follow Jesus. Loving Jesus is contagious (in a good way).
2 Read your Bible regularly. Nothing can substitute for this. Remember, this is God’s love letter to you.
3 Read books about others who love Jesus
4 Keep a gratitude journal. It will remind you of how God is meeting your needs, giving you blessings, and loving you.
5 Talk with God all day long. This does not mean you have to close your eyes. But tell Him what you are excited about. Or what you are confused about. Ask Him for His help. Praise Him for his goodness, faithfulness, compassion, and love.
6 Serve others. The Spirit of God living in you will give you great satisfaction in this activity.
7 Take a fast from media even if it is for an hour at a time. God says to “be still and know that I am God.” You can’t be still when plugged in. We need to be quiet in order to think and contemplate.
The test: how do you know you love Jesus?
Here are some signs that you are on the right track. How many of them can you identify with?
- When you hear about someone accepting Jesus as their Saviour and you get teary-eyed
- When you see someone baptized in obedience to Scripture and you get a lump in your throat and rejoice
- You feel your heart will burst with joy when reading Scripture and something jumps off the page at you that reminds you of God’s faithfulness.
- When you go to sleep at night thinking about how good God has been to you
- When you accomplish something and you immediately thank Jesus for His help
- When you feel compassion for someone who is hurting and want to hug them and tell them that Jesus loves them and so do you.
- When you find joy in thanking Jesus for little things like the silly things your pet does
- When you find joy in helping others because you know that is what Jesus would do
- When you want to obey Jesus and feel a need to confess sin when you do wrong
- When you feel a need to pray for those in the world who are going through persecution because of their faith
- When you read or hear about someone falling away from God and you pray, “Lord please keep me from doing the same thing.”
- When you pray, “Lord I don’t know what to do but you do. Help me to trust you.”
- When you enjoy giving to help someone in their time of need
- When you enjoy telling someone the ways that Jesus has helped you
How many of these were you able to say “yes” to? If you scored high, are there other ways that you know that you love Jesus? If so, please drop them in the comments. (We won’t collect your email to pester you.)
Falling in love with Jesus is one of the most important things you can do. Your eternal destiny depends on it. Jesus came that we might have life, abundant life today, and eternal life in the future. As we gain an appreciation for all that He has done for us, we can’t help falling in love with Jesus. Are you at that point yet?
If you don’t know Jesus, you probably have questions. The people at Chat About Jesus are waiting to answer your questions. You can talk, text, or chat with them.
You might also like to read: