Unless you live in the tropics, you probably have a season of cold weather when you don’t want to be outside in the elements. And since the daylight hours are also at a minimum, we can easily experience the winter blahs without fun indoor winter activities for adults.
So what do you do to be occupied during these cold, dreary, and often miserable months?
You don’t have to let winter get you down. Here are some fun activities that you may or may not have thought of.
Indoor winter activities for adults to do by yourself
You should plan ahead to prevent the winter blahs.
If you live alone, you could start a Christmas tradition by wrapping a gift basket for yourself with many of the following items. Then when the cold weather arrives( if it hasn’t already) you will have a good start on fun indoor winter activities for adults.
- Read or listen to a good book
- Put together a puzzle
- Call a friend just to talk
- Cook or bake something yummy to give to a friend
- Put together a photo album for memories’ sake. Scanning family photos makes it easy to create hardcover books for yourself or others.
- Spend time coloring Bible verse coloring pages. There are many free ones available as well as ones to purchase (this is just one example).
- Learn new skills like painting, crocheting, knitting, or embroidering. YouTube has many good instructional videos.
- Travel to faraway places through YouTube videos.
- Participate in an online Bible Study. There are many good groups. These are a couple of my favorites: Girls in the word, and Women Growing in Joy. Many people also like Bible Study Fellowship.
- Make greeting cards for friends. This is a fairly simple one that is also elegant. It could also be done with a group of friends.
- Clean out and organize your closet.
- Read a blog. This is especially good for those who aren’t into lengthy books. A few of my favorites are Bloggers for the Kingdom, Limitless Horizon, Mama reflections, Healing home, Pray with confidence, and Undoubted grace.
- Take an online course.
- Make a new playlist.
- Do word games: sudoku, crossword puzzles, and word searches. These are available in books which will give you hours of fun.
Indoor winter activities for adults to do with friends or family
There probably are hundreds of things to do on a cold day inside with friends. Having a list of indoor winter activities for adults is a great start. Give some of these a try. They are great bonding activities while at the same time creating lots of special memories.
- Put together a large jigsaw puzzle together.
- Cook a meal together and talk about some of each of your family meal traditions when growing up
- Make homemade hot chocolate and tell stories around the fireplace of what you did for fun as kids. If you don’t have a fireplace, tune in to the YouTube “Yule Log“.
- Do a room makeover and invite friends to help you
- Make salt water taffy. The “taffy pulling” is always more fun with friends or family. (This was a favorite years ago and should be revived)
- Host a BYOC party (bring your own craft). Make jewelry, scrapbooks, or work on your knitting while catching up with friends.
- Host a cookie exchange- each person brings ingredients to their favorite cookie. Everyone bakes their cookies and then shares them with everyone else.
- Host a game night: Scrabble for the intellectually inclined, Uno for those who don’t like word games, and Jenga for those who prefer hands-on skills.
- Go on a progressive dinner. (Eating is indoors but it does require going from house to house or restaurant to restaurant.)
- Go to a concert or hockey game with friends
- Put together personal care kits for the homeless. Then donate to a church that serves the homeless.
- Visit a nursing home and play games with the elderly. This can easily be arranged through the activities department of the nursing home.
- Take a cooking class. This is a great way to meet new people and enjoy great culinary creations.
- Make hot apple cider and enjoy it with friends.
- Dress me up and go out to dinner. This is where you go as a group to a 2nd hand store. Draw names and then create an outfit for that other person to wear. This can create lots of laughs for the courageous!
- Do a family and friends photo shoot. There are lots of different themes to choose from: western, superheroes, and favorite tv characters as starters. The goal is to have fun rather than perfection.
- Go bowling.
- Visit a museum.
- Make and send care packages to people in the military. Here are some of the things they like to receive: necessities, snacks, homemade foods, games, stationery, photos, and notes.
- Do a home movie marathon. Don’t forget the popcorn and hot chocolate!
Final thoughts on fun indoor winter activities for adults
Some of these indoor winter activities for adults may be new to you. For that reason, I have created a PDF so you can keep it handy. Then as you think of other ideas you can add them to the PDF. It is free to download.
Be sure to share in the comments other ideas you may have.
Sharing is caring. : )