I remember almost 10 years ago when I had to flee my home, knowing that life would never be the same again. I gathered as much as I could in an hour and a half to throw in the back of a truck. One thing I made sure that I had was my journal. At that time in my life, I had no journal prompts for spiritual growth.
As the trip was made across several states, I recorded all the ways that God was providing for this unknown journey into the future. Today when I look back, I can see God’s hand on every day. At the time, my journal was more of a diary. It really would have helped if I could have had journal prompts for spiritual growth. I could have expanded more on what I was feeling, what God was teaching me, and how He was leading me.
I know that some readers feel intimidated at the thought of keeping a journal. You might be one of them. Are you wondering:
- How does journaling help spirituallity?
- What should I write in my spiritual journal?
- Are there journal prompts for spiritual growth because I draw a blank most of the time?
That is kind of where I was 10 years ago. I have learned so much since then and am excited to share it with you.
How journaling prompts for spiritual growth will benefit you
If you are wondering, “how does journaling help spirituality”, then you have come to the right place. Journaling is a great tool for one’s spiritual growth. Not only does it help you record your thoughts today, but it also gives you a great reminder down the road of where you have been and how far you have come. Additionally, when you have journal prompts for spiritual growth, your writing will be rich in kingdom treasures and thoughts. A journal can be a priceless gift to yourself.
You will find that some of your journal entries will be a springboard for conversation among one or two friends who love Jesus. It is an example of “iron sharpening iron”, (Proverbs 27:7). The New Testament commands us to encourage each other in spiritual growth, (Hebrews 10:24).
Journals can also be a wonderful memento for your family someday. Children, grandchildren, and spouses can learn so much about your challenges and victories, while at the same time benefitting themselves from the spiritual things you learned in this life. Never underestimate the value of a journal. It can be a priceless gift to your family and friends.
What should I write in my spiritual journal?
Wondering what to write in a spiritual journal is something that trips up some people. They may think it is intimidating or just too hard a task. Let me assure you that with journal prompts for spiritual growth, this seemingly daunting exercise is elevated to a joyous daily activity.
Some people stick to very basic writing in their spiritual journals. Others who are artistic draw diagrams and illustrations, as well as color-code their entries. There really is no right or wrong way to keep a spiritual journal. Furthermore, you really can’t be too basic or too elaborate in your approach. So let your personality and imagination be your guide.
100 journal prompts for spiritual growth
You will discover that journal prompts for spiritual growth are simply questions that get you to think a little deeper about what is going on in your life. Otherwise, what you see on the surface may have a profound spiritual truth that you could miss. So here they are, questions to help you explore your life with Jesus.
Please note that it is never intended for you to answer all of a section’s prompts in a single day. These are simply suggestions that you can use to help guide your writing. If you only answer one prompt, that’s ok. But don’t feel pressure to be an overachiever. It is better to answer fewer prompts and be thorough.
Journal prompts for spiritual growth in my daily routines
Some people journal first thing in the morning. Others do it before they go to bed. You will find prompts for both times of the day, as well as for various activities in your day.
- My plans for today are ____________ On a scale of 1-10, how open am I to letting God change my plans?
- My priorities are ____________ Am I making time for them? If not, what do I need to drop out of my schedule?
- The one thing that I can do today to be more like Jesus is ____________
- I feel good about what I accomplished today because ____________
- I wish I could have ____________ today because ___________
- The best part of today was ____________ because __________ and this is how I think God feels about it __________
- The worst part of today was __________ becuase _________ and this is how I think God feels about it _____________
- I saw God working in my life today when ______________
- Today I am grateful for _____________
- A blessing that happend today is ___________
- If I could do it over, this is what I would do different___________
- God was my refuge and strength today when ___________
- Today I learned ___________ and I can use it in the following ways _________
- Today I have to __________ but I would rather ____________
- Ways that Jesus has changed me into a new creation in Him is _________
- This was a time when I really messed up, but God forgave me _________
Journal prompts for spiritual growth in my feelings
- I feel really good about ___________ I would describe my feelings as _________ (example- happy, excited, satisfied, joyful etc). This is how I can thank God for it.
- I am really disappointed about __________ Scripture that I can apply to this situation is ________
- I feel hurt because ___________ Scripture that I can apply to this situation is __________
- I wish I could forgive __________ but instead I feel __________ Scripture that I can apply to this situation is ____________
- I feel lonely because _____________ Scripture that I can apply to this situation is __________
- I was upset about _________ and this is how I responded. What does this show me about my heart?
- My actions this week did or did not prove that I am content with where God has placed me in life.
- I have found joy in this Christian song __________ and the words are __________
- I feel self-righteous about ___________ I know it is wrong to be judgemental and this is what I can do to change that _________
- This is what I am excited about __________
- I am feeling overwhelmed by __________ What God wants me to remember is ________
- Bible verses that make me feel strong and courageous are _________
- My past doesn’t define who I am because ________
- My fears were proven wrong when _______
- I can demonstrate love for others by ________
- I am more than adequate because God says _________
- My negatie self-talk lately has been about __________ This is what God says about it ________
- My fears and worries are not realisitc because ________
- Things that God has helped me to not worry about anymore are _________
- Things that feel impossible in my life are _________ This is what God says about impossible _________
Journal prompts about spiritual growth and my response to current events
- ____________scares me. Instead, God wants me think about ________ and remember that _________
- If ___________ was happening to me, this is how I would feel ________ I will pray for them this way _________
- This law angers me. God wants me to remember that __________
- The attribute of God that helps me most when ____________ happens is _________
- I believe God is trying to get my attentions through ____________
- A time in my life when God rescued me was ___________ Do I believe He can do it again?
- God turned a bad situation into something good by __________
- I find it hard to apologize and this is why I think it is so hard.
- There are a few things that I need to let go of and they are _________
- What I can control about my life is __________
Journal prompts for my Bible reading
- I am glad I read my bible today because ____________
- What is God teaching me through my Bible reading?
- What does this Scripture tell me about God?
- What does this Scripture tell me about myself?
- Is this a Scripture that I need to memorize? Why?
- The Scripture that brings me hope is ___________ because ___________
- In what way does this Scripture show me how to be a light in a dark world?
- I believe that God is asking me to __________ from this Scripture passage
- The Bible character that I would like to be more like is ________ because ________
- This Bible passage make me feel_________
- How can I praise God based on this Bible passage?
- These Bible verses will help me encourge others who ____________
- How did God use this person? How does it apply to me?
- What do these verses tell me about my worth to God?
- How do these Bible verses bring peace to me?
- These verses bring me closer to God because ____________
- This Scripture warns me about ____________
- I don’t understand __________
- This verse has special meaning to me because ___________
- I love to read my Bible when ___________
- I have a hard time reading my Bible when _________
Journal promopts about my prayer life
- Who is God prompting me to pray for today?
- Lord, my biggest struggle today is _________
- Who do I need help forgiving because I am holding a grudge against them?
- What fruits of the Spirit do I need to ask for help in?
- I prayed for ____________ on __________ This is how that situation turned out.
- I have trouble praying because ______________
- A decison that I need to pray about is _____________
- If I were to write a prayer to God thanking Him for the Scrpture I read today, this is what I would say ____________
- Lord, I love you because __________
- I didn’t expect God’s answer to my prayer to be _______________
Journal prompts about my dreams, wishes, and relationships
- I think I am placing my identitiy in ___________ (person or thing) instead of God.
- Steps of obediance to God that I have been avoiding are ___________
- One person I can serve is ___________ and this is how I will do it __________
- The next step in my spiritual growth should be ___________
- This is what God is calling me to focus on in the next 6 months to a year.
- The area of my life where I need to seek God’s guidance is ____________
- I feel God’s presence the most when __________
- This is what I can do when I don’t feel God’s presence__________
- I could serve God better by __________
- I believe that God is asking me to change __________
- This is what I love most about my church family ___________
- I feel a tug at my heart to serve God in a differnt way by doing ____________ I will talk to __________ about this desire and what preparation I might need.
- My personal dreams include ___________
- The things I love most about my life are __________
- The most important people in my life are __________ because __________
- One area that I need to improve upon is ________
- I can better handle my spare time by doing _________
- To be a better listener, I need to _________
- If there is one thing I could say to _________ it would be _________
- One thing that I want to learn and become proficient in is __________
- The people that I consider my support system are _________ because _________
- I want to be remebered by my loved ones for/as __________
- This is what I could improve in my relationship with others ___________
Keeping a journal has so many benefits. The problem is that many individuals don’t know what to write that will help them today as well as in the future. That is why journal prompts for spiritual growth were created.
We can journal about all aspects of our lives. These include our daily routines, feelings, responses to current events, Bible reading, prayer life, dreams, wishes, and relationships. I suppose the sky is the limit if our focus and desires are for spiritual growth.
I hope you will start today using journal prompts for spiritual growth. As time goes by and with practice, you will have a rhythm and writing style that leads to God-given prompts that are just for you. These kinds of prompts are the best kind. Here’s to journaling!
You might also like to read:
- Why keeping a journal will help you find hope, joy, and peace
- God and the emotions of women
- Bible reading for beginners- how and where to start
- Best Bible verses to memorize for beginners
- Feeling on edge about current events? How to cope
- Finding joy when plans change
- If you don’t know Jesus personally, please go to Chat About Jesus. Their toll-free number is 1-888-NEED-HIM. Someone is waiting there to answer your questions.